Call Us Today : +1-416-850-0015
YOGA THERAPIST TRAINING
JUNE 2023 to JULY 2025
Yoga Therapist Training Index
yoga therapist training program
Yoga Therapy Toronto offers 1,000+ hours of Yoga Therapist Training, of which 800 hours are accredited by IAYT.
Upon graduation, students are eligible to apply to become a C-IAYT (which means they are an IAYT Certified Yoga Therapist).
IAYT is helping to bring yoga therapy into the Integrative Health model and the prevalent medical model, empowering health care providers to refer patients directly to professionally trained and certified yoga therapists. IAYT champions yoga as a healing art and science. IAYT supports research and education in yoga, and also serves as a professional organization for yoga therapists worldwide.
UPDATE: We plan on having all module sessions in person at the studio. However, should restrictions about gathering prevent us from meeting, then we will look to postpone certain dates. Only if there were long term lock downs imposed would we then consider having module sessions online over zoom.
The foundation of this program is based on the respected teachings of yoga master T. Krishnamacharya, as received directly from his son Sir TKV Desikachar and other teachers in this tradition, along with an integration of western Psychology and Therapy.
Over the course of 2+ years, this 1,000+ hour training program will explore the ancient healing wisdom of yoga from a sound scientific perspective. In this process, you will also learn how to deeply connect with yourself and others and facilitate healing that is empowering, enduring and life transforming.
In Year 1 of the training we will primarily focus on the foundation principles of Yoga Therapy where you will learn about the philosophy behind healing and how to approach the healing dynamic. You will also learn about all of the major systems of the body (ie: musculo-skeletal, respiratory, digestive, circulatory, nervous, endocrine, reproductive, urinary, lymphatic, etc.) and many of the related conditions and diseases associated with each system.
In Year 2 and beyond, we will focus on learning how to apply the foundation principles in a practical manner. You will learn how to do a proper intake and consultation, how to work with different individuals with varying conditions, and how to apply Yoga and Ayurveda during live case-study sessions. This transformational process will teach you how to address your own physical, intellectual, emotional, social and spiritual needs, as well as the needs of others.
Prospective students must be willing and able to participate in an intensive and rigorous course of study over 2+ years in order to successfully graduate as a certified Yoga Therapist.
However, another available option is to take this training as part of a personal development process where the student attends the program without choosing to pursue certification.
** We have been training and certifying Yoga Therapists since 2011 and a new training is offered only every two years, with our next training group after this one scheduled for May 2025.
This is a comprehensive curriculum that combines the ancient wisdom of Yoga & Ayurveda with Modern Science. The foundation of this program is based on the respected teachings of yoga master T. Krishnamacharya and his son TKV Desikachar, along with an integration of western Psychology and Therapy.
You will receive intensive training in Individualized Yoga Therapy where you will be empowered to work on a one-on-one basis with your clients through the healing process. This healing paradigm is based on a holistic understanding of the human system and respects the uniqueness, special needs and abilities of each individual.
The student-teacher relationship lays the foundations for learning. In this course, each student has a mentor who provides support and advice throughout the training, with an emphasis on cultivating a healthy Student-Teacher relationship based on respect, faith and trust. In addition, for those graduates who are interested in continuing with their studies, Yoga Therapy Toronto offers ongoing mentorship to assist and aid each student along their personal and professional paths.
This course’s strength lies in the personal attention and guidance each student receives for their personal and professional development and offers two-full-time teachers in class at all times for greater personal attention.
An opportunity to participate and engage in a healing yoga community (sanga) that is both self-sustaining and willing to extend support to the larger community in the field of health and healing.
Weekend Residential Retreats
An opportunity to explore and deeply experience the therapeutic tools of yoga. These retreats will be held at a residential retreat centre (located in nature within one hour of Toronto and all four retreats are already included in the fees).
Interpersonal Skills Development Group Sessions
These group sessions are designed to strengthen and nurture the connection within the group of therapist trainees. We will consolidate learning, share from personal practice and teaching, as well as develop strategies for improved listening and communication skills. In these sessions, we will also dialogue about the transference and counter-transference that occurs between therapist and student.
Supervised Yoga Therapy Teaching Internship
Once we feel the student is ready, we offer an opportunity to teach group therapeutic sessions, as well as one-on-one yoga therapy private sessions with the community at large – this may include: mental health centres, hospitals, shelters, retirement centres, etc. This enables the student to obtain valuable teaching experience while being supervised by a mentor.
Other Benefits Include:
• Being certified as a Yoga Therapist (CYT-1,000 hours) by Yoga Therapy Toronto.
• Being eligible to be certified as a C-IAYT 800 hours by IAYT (International Association of Yoga Therapists).
• Having a career that is beneficial and uplifting to oneself and others.
• Having a certification that is recognized around the world.
This Yoga Therapist Training involves 1,000+ hours of study over 2+ years:
Included in the Total Cost of the Training Program:
• 500+ overall in-person teacher contact hours (spread out over 17 weekend modules, plus individual private and mentor sessions, group therapy practicum preparation classes)
• 300+ overall practicum hours where you will teach individuals with a therapeutic need, individuals with a common condition, and different individuals with varying therapeutic needs (spread out over the 27+ months)
• Individual Personal and Professional Development – 4 private sessions (4 hours)
• Four weekend residential retreats (to be held at a retreat centre) (84 hours)
• Practicum Preparation for Group Therapy sessions (65 hours)
• Supervised Teaching Practicum #1 – Private Yoga Therapy practicum delivery sessions (40 hours)
• Supervised Teaching Practicum #2 – Private Yoga Therapy sessions as lead therapist for the condition-based practicum project (58 hours)
• Supervised Teaching Practicum #3 – 6 month Yoga Therapy Internship as the lead therapist (300 hours)
• Condition-based Practicum Project, Supervised Group Study Sessions, Written Projects and Reports – reading, research, group discussions & presentations
• Unlimited Therapeutic Yoga classes (Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday at 6pm)
• All required texts and course materials will be provided, including “Classical Yoga Asana’ which is a 584 page hardcover textbook for teaching yoga postures and is authored by the lead trainers Ante Pavlovic and Felicia Pavlovic.
The program fee does not cover costs that may be incurred by students for practicum or research projects, nor any additional supervision/mentoring sessions a student may required to take based on individual assessment of progress.
Course study units will include the following main areas of focus:
1.1) Foundation Principles of Yoga Therapy
• Understanding the Mind & Healing from the Yoga perspective and allied systems;
• Understanding the framework for health and illness – body & mind integration; addressing the need for deeper and comprehensive healing; understanding various therapeutic models (Samkhya; Panca Maya; Tri-Dosa; Vyuham; etc.)
• Yoga Philosophy & relevant textual study (Yoga Sutra, etc.);
• Ayurvedic guidelines for wellness and healing; Nutrition guidelines;
1.2) Bio-medical and Psychological Foundations:
• Anatomy and Physiology; Subtle Anatomy;
• Study of the major systems of the body (ie: musculo-skeletal, respiratory, digestive, circulatory, nervous, endocrine, reproductive, urinary, lymphatic, etc.) and their inter-relationships;
• Pathology of common illnesses from the perspective of Modern Medicine, Yoga and Ayurveda;
• General guidelines how to work with common illnesses – tools of yoga therapy, diet, lifestyle management, contra-indications, knowledge of healthcare information, terminology and basic diagnostic methods;
• Familiarity with common medical terminology, medications, surgical procedures, etc; How to communicate effectively with allopathic medical practitioners; etc;
• Comparative Overview of Yoga Philosophy and Western Psychology;
• Yoga Therapy for Mental and Emotional concerns;
• Group Therapy, Counseling, Dialogue and Self-Reflection in healing;
1.3) Yoga Therapy Tools and their Application:
• Yoga Therapy Tools, Techniques, and Practices; Including such tools as: Personal & Social Observances, Asana, Pranayama, Meditation, Relaxation Techniques, Mantra & Chanting, Self reflection, Lifestyle Management, etc.;
• Process of Structuring a Healing Practice: Intake & Interview process; Evaluation & Observation; Appropriate Goal Setting; Appropriate Application of individualized Tools, Techniques and Practices; Measuring Progress; Evaluating Feedback; Evolving the practice over time; etc;
• Experiential application of the therapeutic tools of yoga: explore asana, pranayama, and meditation in a residential retreat setting located in nature.
1.4) Teaching & Therapeutic Skills:
• Principles of the Therapeutic Relationship; Nurturing and developing appropriate Communication Skills (ie: listening, presence, directive and non-directive dialogue, etc.);
• Cultivating an ongoing, long-term Therapeutic Relationship; Developing and nurturing a Personal Practice;
• Ability to adapt the yoga practice according to the evolving needs, goals, and aspirations of each student;
• Principles & Skills for Educating Students; Empowering the Individual and awakening the healing potential;
• Principles & Skills for Working with Groups; Ability to design, implement, and evaluate group programs;
• Observation of Consultation and one-on-one Yoga Therapy sessions;
• Condition-based Practicum Project & Presentation;
1.5) Practicum – Practical Application of Learning:
• Supervised Teaching – Group Yoga Therapy sessions where you volunteer teach in your local community with a small group of students with a specific health need, condition, or disease; Assessment of each individual and delivery of individualized yoga therapy, although in a group setting;
• Supervised Teaching – Private Yoga Therapy sessions as part of your condition-based practicum project;
• Supervised Teaching – Yoga Therapy Internship where you will be the lead therapist delivering one-to-one private yoga therapy sessions (consultation and practice; follow-up sessions; documentation; etc;)
1.6) Professional Practice:
• Ethical Principles; Personal & Professional Codes of Conduct;
• Legal, Regulatory, and Business Issues pertaining to Yoga Therapy;
• Relationships with Peers, Mentors, Clinicians, and Organizations;
• Personal and Professional development and Continuing Education;
dates & times
This Yoga Therapist Training will begin in June 2023 and end in July 2025.
We will meet for a total of 17 modules. For the most part, this works out to be approximately one weekend module every other month (with certain exceptions).
As part of the modules, we will be attending 4 Weekend Residential Retreats:
Retreat #1 – Sat-Sun, Jun. 10-11, 2023 (2 days)
Retreat #2 – Sat-Sun, Oct. 14-15, 2023 (2 days)
Retreat #3 – Sat-Sun, May. 25-26, 2024 (2 days)
Retreat #4 – Sat-Sun, Oct. 26-27, 2024 (2 days)
These retreats will be held at a residential retreat centre (located in nature and a 75 min drive from Yoga Therapy Toronto and all four retreats are already included in the fees).
The retreats will begin on Saturday morning at 9am and we will depart on Sunday after 6pm.
Carpooling and shared transportation may be arranged with fellow participants.
As well, students are required to attend 50 group therapy practicum preparation classes (Mon or Wed at 6pm – this works out to approximately 2 classes per month over the duration of the training).
In addition, there will be 4 Private sessions scheduled throughout the program.
Each weekend module will have the following schedule:
Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays – 9:30am to 6:30pm each day |
(the final weekday module #17 in July 2025 will be from 9am to 2pm for all three days).
Scheduled Dates: (subject to change with prior notice)
Module #1 | Sat-Sun, Jun. 10-11, 2023 (Weekend Retreat – 2 days)
Module #2 | Fri-Sun, Jul. 7-9, 2023
Module #3 | Fri-Sun, Jul. 14-16, 2023
Module #4 | Fri-Sun, Sep. 8-10, 2023
Module #5 | Fri-Sun, Sep. 22-24, 2023
Module #6 | Sat-Sun, Oct. 14-15, 2023 (Weekend Retreat – 2 days)
Module #7 | Fri-Sun, Nov. 10-12, 2023
Module #8 | Fri-Sun, Nov. 24-26, 2023
Module #9 | Fri-Sun, Dec. 15-17, 2023
Module #10 | Fri-Sun, Jan. 19-21, 2024
Module #11 | Fri-Sun, Mar. 22-24, 2024
Module #12 | Fri-Sun, May. 3-5, 2024
Module #13 | Sat-Sun, May. 25-26, 2024 (Weekend Retreat – 2 days)
Module #14 | Sat-Sun, Oct. 26-27, 2024 (Weekend Retreat – 2 days)
Module #15 | Fri-Sun, Nov. 15-17, 2024
Module #16 | Fri-Sun, Nov. 22-24, 2024
Module #17 | Mon-Wed, Jul. 14-16, 2025
Weekend training modules and all private sessions will take place at Yoga Therapy Toronto.
(located at 692 Bloor St. W. – 2nd floor, just one street east of Christie subway station at the NW corner of Bloor St & Clinton St)
It is proposed that approximately 20 students will be accepted in this program.
It is important for us to proceed with a committed group of students where each person is guaranteed to receive sufficient personal attention and guidance from the Trainers. Also, we feel it is important to build a sense of community where appropriate learning and healthy relationships may be nurtured in a safe environment.
The Total Cost of the Training Program is $13,000 (includes all taxes).
• Installmet #1 due upon Acceptance: $2,000 (of which $1,000 is a non-refundable registration fee).
• Installment #2 due by June 10, 2023: $4,000.
• Installment #3 due by November 24, 2023: $4,000.
• Installment #4 due by March 22, 2024: $3,000.
The Total Cost of the Training Program is $13,000 (includes all taxes). This fee covers the cost of training modules, the residential retreats (travel costs are extra), sessions between modules and all mandatory texts, learning resources and materials.
This training is a non-residential program. Students have to make their own arrangement for all transportation, boarding and lodging (except for the retreats, where food and stay are already included).
The program fee does not cover costs that may be incurred by students for practicum or research projects, nor does it cover any additional mentoring sessions (at $120/hr) a student may require to take based on not fulfilling the mandated requirements of the training.
If an alternative payment plan is required, please contact us directly for further options.
Modes of Payment:
a) Online banking e-transfer to: firstname.lastname@example.org
b) Cheque, payable to: ‘Yoga Therapy Toronto’
c) VISA/Mastercard option is available, however there is an additional 3% surcharge to be incurred for each payment
Terms and Conditions:
The program fee must be paid in full within the due dates given, even if the student misses any parts of the training. In such cases, the student must make additional payment arrangements to catch up on missed training hours/sessions.
• If a student withdraws from the training any time before commencement of the training, the school will retain the non-refundable registration fee of $1,000.
• If a student withdraws after the start of the training but prior to the 3rd installment date of Nov.24, 2023, the school will be owed $6,000 (irrespective of any outstanding balance owing or alternate payment plan arrangements).
• If a student withdraws from the training after the 3rd installment date of Nov.24, 2023, the school will be owed the entirety of the training fee of $13,000 (irrespective of any outstanding balance owing or alternate payment plan arrangements).
Any extenuating circumstances will be attended to on a case-by-case basis.
If a student withdraws from the Training at at any point during the program, training hours will not be granted for any incomplete program.
Both Felicia Pavlovic & Ante Pavlovic will be co-teaching all sessions.
In addition, we will have teachers come in to share some of their expertise in:
• Yoga Therapy & Vedanta (with Dr. N.Chandrasekaran – of Yoga Vaidya Sala)
• Ayurveda (with Vaidya Nitin Shah – of Good Life Ayurveda)
When available, we may have teachers come in to share some of their expertise in:
• Yoga Therapy (with Saraswathi Vasudevan – of Yoga Vahini)
The applicant must be a graduate of either Yoga Therapy Toronto’s Level-1 Teacher Training (300 hours), or a RYT-200 hour Teacher Training equivalent in another tradition. However, if deemed necessary, some integration studies may be required (prior to acceptance, and/or during the training itself).
While everyone can practice yoga for their own health and well-being, not all are ready to become Yoga Therapists. Thus, a few pre-requisites are required to apply for this training program:
• The applicant must be at least 18 years of age and have a sincere desire to help oneself and others with Yoga.
• The applicant must be a graduate of either Yoga Therapy Toronto’s Level-1 Teacher Training (300 hours), or a RYT-200 hour Teacher Training equivalent in another tradition.
• The applicant has at least one year experience with personal practice.
• The applicant has at least one year of teaching experience.
• The applicant must be willing to devote the necessary time and energy over the course of the 30 months and be willing to commit to the academic and non-academic requirements.
Applications will be accepted starting on Jan.1, 2022 and we ask that each applicant first fill out the Online Application Form, located below.
Once that is received, we will schedule a personal interview (online via zoom). We request to meet every applicant in order to ensure that there is a suitable compatability for all involved, as well as to discuss any further questions, clarifications and expectations about the training.
Upon acceptance, an Enrollment Fee of $2,000 is required in order to secure your enrollment in the training (of which $1,000 is non-refundable).
yoga therapist training Online application
While everyone can practice yoga for their own health and well-being, not all are ready to become Yoga Therapists.
Thus, a few pre-requisites are suggested to apply for this training program:
- The applicant must be at least 18 years of age and have a sincere desire to help oneself and others with Yoga.
- The applicant must be a graduate of either Yoga Therapy Toronto’s Level-1 Teacher Training (300 hours), or a RYT-200 hour Teacher Training equivalent in another tradition.
- The applicant must have at least one year experience as a yoga teacher and one year experience with personal practice.
- The applicant must be willing to devote the necessary time and energy over the course of the 30 months and be willing to commit to the academic and non-academic requirements.
Since on completion the applicant will become a Yoga Therapist, they must be mentally and emotionally stable and also possess reasonably good communication skills.
Once we receive the application form, we will contact you via email.
Ante and Felicia
Yoga Therapy Toronto